The air station maintains and operates airfield facilities, which include a 7,800-foot runway, to support the readiness and global projection of operating forces.
Governor Peter Shumlin today announced additional tax relief to help flood survivors who replaced mobile homes damaged or destroyed in either federally declared disasters that occurred in 2011, the spring flooding and Tropical Storm Irene. Specifically, a provision of Act 143 of 2012 makes purchases of these mobile homes tax-free for Vermont residents. â Working together with the administrationâ s housing team, the Legislature passed a law assisting Vermonters whose mobile homes were destroyed by flooding, including these tax provisions,’the Governor said. â This is one more way to help survivors of last yearâ s storms put their lives back together.â Sue Minter, the stateâ s Irene Recovery Officer, added, â We are continuing our effort to support individuals and families still recovering from Irene, and there remains a long road to full recovery for many Vermonters. Three criteria must be met to receive a reimbursement for taxes paid on a mobile home purchase. First, you must be a Vermont resident. Second, your mobile home was damaged or destroyed as a result of a 2011 federally declared disaster. Third, Vermonters must have purchased the replacement mobile home between April 2, 2011 and June 30, 2012. If these criteria are met, Vermonters will receive a check for any Sales and Use or Property Transfer Tax they had paid. â This is one of many ways the state is helping individuals and communities recover,’said Jennifer Hollar, Deputy Commissioner of the Vermont Department of Economic, Housing and Community Development. â The beauty of this program is that the funds go right back to Vermonters to help them rebuild their homes and lives.” The Department of Taxes has dedicated resources available to help those who may qualify for this tax reimbursement. Specifically, Vermonters can call the mobile home help line at the Department of Taxes at (866) 348-4038, e-mail Tax.MobileHomeHelp@state.vt.us(link sends e-mail), or download the proper form and information sheet at http://tax.vermont.gov(link is external). â The Department of Taxes stands ready to help eligible Vermonters take advantage of this important program,’said Tax Commissioner Mary Peterson. â We urge Vermont residents who replaced their mobile home due to flooding to apply for a tax reimbursement.’ Source: Governor’s office 6.12.2012
Potential to revolutionize TV scenography, says DoP Massimo Pascucci.San Fernando, CA (United States), 15th October 2020: GLP’s pioneering new KNV series has been used for the first time in Italy, on two high profile broadcast TV shows. The first of these was Radionorba Vodafone Battiti Live, where DoP Massimo Pascucci, featured a large selection of KNV Cube, KNV Dot and KNV Line in the scenography, working alongside set designer Luigi Maresca and show director, Luigi Antonini.This popular musical show is produced by Radionorba and broadcast by TeleNorba and Mediaset on the Italia 1 channel. Hosted by Alan Palmieri and Elisabetta Gregoraci, it features leading artists and their hits of the summer.Generally, the traditional five episodes are recorded during the months of June and July in five different locations that represent the main cities of Puglia. However, this year, due to the Covid- 19 pandemic, the show would have been cancelled were it not for a supreme production effort and the rapid drop off of infections. Thus a single location was chosen—the square immediately in front of the Aragonese Castle of Otranto—in order to avoid moving equipment and manpower.All GLP fixtures are imported into Italy by distributor, Alto Lighting, and for this show were supplied by rental company, MOD Srl.Massimo Pascucci had no hesitation in using GLP’s revolutionary solutions after seeing videos of the KNVs in use. Because in this show I had focussed a lot on using the lights graphically, the product seemed perfect to me,” he said. Thus 12 of the KNV Cubes were accompanied by 25 KNV Dot and 10 KNV Line. Each KNV format can be used independently, or seamlessly combined to form a massive, modular graphic display.“In truth, the iconography of the show is about the heart, hence the Battiti (beats),” he continued. “So the Cubes were used in the centre of a structure that represented the heart Itself, housed in the central part of the roof. The other GLP devices (Line and Dot) were used around the stage perimeter, giving shape and linearity to the structure.”Bespoke lighting scenes and states were programmed for each of the acts, as Pascucci explained. “For each song a different graphic is produced which is then displayed on huge LED walls, that make up the main scenography. The luminaires have been calibrated to this in order to harmonize with the dedicated mood of each performer, using the pixel mapping facility on the Hog 4 lighting desk.”He remains in no doubt as to the many ways in which the unique KNV series enhanced the scenography—and can see endless possibilities for the future. “The extreme brightness and possibility of integration with the existing lighting plot, really enhances the concept and opens up a new way of conceiving television lighting. By this I mean gradually dispensing with the conventional powerful beam movement delivered by automated spots. Instead it is possible to focus more on the stylisation of the scenes by integrating the lighting system with graphics, as far as possible.”
Over the weekend and through today, the novel coronavirus pandemic continued to surge through many states, including Florida, Texas, and Arizona.In total the United States has 2,564,163 COVID-19 cases and 125,928 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 tracker. And the New York Times reports that US cases are up 76% over the past 2 weeks. In states like California—which has been battling the pandemic since March—increasing case counts led to the closing of bars in select cities. Elsewhere, cities such as Nashville are making masks mandatory. And in at least 12 states, including Washington, Arizona, and Texas, governors have “paused” reopening local economies any further. On Sunday news shows, health officials and policy experts offered stern warnings on the spread. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Director Alex Azar said yesterday on CNN that the US’s window for controlling the virus is closing. “Things are very different from two months ago… So it is a very different situation, but this is a very, very serious situation and the window is closing for us to take action and get this under control,” Azar said. Mortality rates still lowWhile case counts and hospitalizations have risen across much of the country, mortality rates have not. Scott Gottlieb, MD, the former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said on CNBC he expects death rates to rise in the next 3 to 4 weeks as fatalities occur after a significant lag in case identification.Gottlieb also said he expected up to half of the US population could be infected by the end of 2020.In Florida, Governor Ron DeSantis said Floridians aged 18-44 are responsible for the state’s recent spike in cases, and cases in young adults make him worry less about an increasing fatality rate. Yesterday Florida tracked more than 8,500 new cases of the virus, and is currently averaging 38 deaths per day, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The state has a total of 141,075 cases.Though DeSantis said statewide mask requirements are not necessary, some cities, including Tampa and St. Petersburg, have required facial coverings. And several popular beaches in Miami-Dade and Broward counties are closing in anticipation of the Fourth of July weekend. Today Jacksonville, Florida’s largest city and the presumed site of the Republican National Convention in August, said masks will be mandatory in public and indoor locations.Pence visits Texas, White House secures remdesivirAt a visit yesterday to the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Vice President Mike Pence wore a mask and implored others to do so as well in an effort to curb rising cases of the virus. But earlier in the day Pence appeared at First Baptist Church in Dallas, where a 100-person choir of unmasked singers performed. Today Texas reported its 6th consecutive day of more than 5,000 new COVID-19 cases, according to the Texas Tribune.Also today, HHS announced an agreement to secure the antiviral drug remdesivir for the United States from Gilead Sciences through September.According to a press release, HHS has secured more than 500,000 treatment courses of the drug for American hospitals through September. This represents 100% of Gilead’s projected production for July and 90% of the company’s production in August. On average, a treatment course for the drug is 6.25 vials.The announcement comes with the final allocation of Gilead’s approximately 120,000 donated treatment courses being shipped to US hospitals.Serial testing ID’s more cases than symptomatic testingA study based in a Louisiana correctional and detention facility shows that serial testing of all those exposed to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, revealed more cases than testing of symptomatic case contacts. The study was published today in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.After a prison employee and some inmates tested positive for COVID-19, inmates were quarantined and tested for the virus. Among 98 incarcerated and detained persons who were quarantined because of exposure to the virus, 71 (72%) had laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection identified through serial testing, the authors said. Of those, 45% had no symptoms at the time of testing. “The high attack rate within these five dormitories and the large proportion of asymptomatic persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection suggest that serial testing of close contacts, including those in congregate settings, should begin immediately after identification of a case to limit further transmission,” the authors concluded.
Laura Jens-SmithLaura Jens-Smith isn’t the type to enjoy retired life. Just weeks after walking out of town hall in Riverhead — she lost her reelection bid — Jens-Smith is looking to fill a new hot seat.On January 21, she announced her intention to seek a spot in the New York State Assembly. For now, incumbent Anthony Palumbo intends to seek reelection, although rumor has it the Republican may go after Ken LaValle’s state Senate seat. LaValle is retiring after 44 years.Palumbo hasn’t decided, and is discussing it with his family, sources said.Republican Yvette Aguiar upset Jens-Smith to capture the Riverhead Town supervisor seat last November.Jens-Smith is so far the only Democrat to announce her candidacy for the Second District seat.“Hope is not a good plan,” she said. “Palumbo hasn’t accomplished much in six years. I want this to be a challenge on the issues . . . I’m very strong.”The major issue is water quality for those on the East End. The North Fork district is bipartisan, Jens-Smith said, and requires a unified effort, as opposed to political bickering.“I was on the minority of the board in Riverhead,” she said. “You have to build legislation. The issues are the issues.”Jens-Smith also noted her constituents bemoaned the high cost of health insurance. “A lot of the problem is health care and prescription costs,” she said. “That’s where all our money goes. We can’t afford it.”Lowering Riverhead school district taxes is also an important issue for the former supervisor, who recently attended a rally in support of the measure.The Democrats, meanwhile, have a wealth of candidates who may vie for LaValle’s seat, including Brookhaven Town Councilwoman Valerie Cartright; Laura Ahearn, a lawyer and executive director of the Crime Victims Center; Tommy John Schiavoni, a retired teacher and Southampton Town councilman from Sag Harbor; and Skyler Johnson, a 19-year-old college student from Mt. Sinai. Suffolk County Democratic Party chairman Rich Schaffer said the candidates would run at-large in a primary on June firstname.lastname@example.org Share
The countdown is over, and containment begins in earnest. A New York City woman is the first confirmed case of coronavirus in the state, officials announced on Sunday, March 1. Two people have died from the virus in the United States, both from Washington state, the second on Sunday. The disease known as COVID-19, contracted from the virus, is resistant to treatment and fast-moving. Local, county, and state officials have all sought to reassure the public and reiterate preventive steps. Foremost among them are to avoid people with flu-like symptoms and to wash your hands thoroughly and often. According to Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office, the Manhattan woman who contracted the illness was in her 30s and recently traveled to Iran. Most of the cases involving the virus, with a global death toll surpassing 3000, according to the Washington Post, are overseas. Washington state officials are stymied by the fact that neither fatality is known to have left the state. The epicenter of the disease is China. There was some sentiment worldwide that the virus might be tapering off at levels below some of the other winter flus — which have been widespread and increasing this year at a more rapid rate than usual — than in previous years. The risk of getting coronavirus is currently low in the U.S., according to federal officials, but it is communicable, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “There is no reason for undue anxiety — the general risk remains low in New York,” Cuomo said in a statement. “We are diligently managing this situation and will continue to provide information as it becomes available.” According to the CDC, many of the patients at the epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China had some link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person origin. A CDC fact sheet states that coronaviruses are a large family of viruses common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and spread between them such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and the new SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19. The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have originated in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal source. “The Town of East Hampton will continue to monitor state and federal health agency reports on the spread of flu and the ‘novel coronavirus,’ and will follow and disseminate official guidelines for maintaining health and preventing against the spread of the viruses as the situation evolves,” East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc announced Monday. Cuomo said the woman who contracted the new coronavirus is quarantined in her home. U.S. Senator Charles Schumer said all senior citizens should be given vaccines and that Medicare should pay for the treatment, but the vaccine is still in development and not yet available. CDC advises using disinfectant sprays, and some community members have taken to wearing facemasks on the streets. The effects of the coronavirus can range from mild to severe symptoms. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath, and may appear in as few as two days or a long as 14 days after exposure, according to the CDC. Additional information can be found at the New York State Department of Health email@example.com Share
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
In support of the Administration’s all of the above energy strategy, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has issued a draft loan guarantee solicitation for innovative renewable energy and energy efficiency projects located in the U.S. that avoid, reduce, or sequester greenhouse gases.When finalized, the solicitation is expected to make as much as $4 billion in loan guarantees available to help commercialize technologies that may be unable to obtain full commercial financing. This draft solicitation represents another step in the Department’s commitment to help overcome the financial barriers to the deployment of innovative, clean energy technologies.“Through our existing renewable energy loan guarantees, the Department’s Loan Programs Office helped launch the U.S. utility-scale solar industry and other clean energy technologies that are now contributing to our clean energy portfolio,” said Secretary Ernest Moniz. “We want to replicate that success by focusing on technologies that are on the edge of commercial-scale deployment today.”The Renewable Energy and Efficient Energy Projects Loan Guarantee solicitation is intended to support technologies that are catalytic, replicable, and market ready. Within the draft solicitation, the Department has included a sample list illustrative of potential technologies for consideration. While any project that meets the eligibility requirements is eligible to apply, the Department has identified five key technology areas of interest: advanced grid integration and storage; drop-in biofuels; waste-to-energy; enhancement of existing facilities; and efficiency improvements.The Department will consider public feedback in defining the scope of the final solicitation. In addition to initiating a 30-day public comment period, a schedule of public meetings will be posted on the Department’s website.Once the solicitation is finalized, the Department’s Loan Programs Office (LPO) will be accepting applications in three areas, which also include the $8 billion Advanced Fossil Energy Projects Solicitation that was released in December 2013 and the $16 billion Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) loan program.Currently, the LPO supports a diverse portfolio of more than $30 billion in loans, loan guarantees, and commitments, supporting more than 30 projects nationwide, including one of the world’s largest wind farms.Press release, April 17, 2014; Image: Axys Technologies (Illustration)
Get access to premium content subscribe today SUBSCRIBE to access this story SUBSCRIBE for UNLIMITED access to news and premium contentA subscription will provide access to the latest industry news, expert analysis & comment from industry leaders, data and research – including our popular annual league tables. You will receive:Print/digital issues delivered to your door/inboxUnlimited access to building.co.uk including our archivePrint/digital supplementsNewsletters – unlimited access to the stories behind the headlinesSubscribe now
Richard Saxon is the UK’s BIM ambassador for growth. He is an architect and chartered surveyor who works as a client adviser at Consultancy for the Built Environment. Richard’s career was at multi-discipline practice BDP where he became chairman. He is on the steering group of the government BIM Task Group and is a member of the executive board of CIC, looking after innovation. Richard has been a vice-president of the RIBA, president of the BCO and chairman of the reform group ‘Be: collaborating for the built environment’. He was made a CBE in 2001 for ‘services to architecture and construction’.