After a perfect mix of spices and well cooked duck meat, Bramha Persaud of National Television Network (NTN) walked away with the top prize of the 6th annual Digicel Duck Curry competition at Number 63 Beach, Corentyne, Berbice, on Sunday last.Outshining 19 other competitors, the NTN crew, lead by its owner, walked away with 5,000 as the first prize, while Devesh Darpat who came in second place bagged 5,000 and Looknauth Durbiji who came in third took away 5,000. Coming in fourth was Robert Singh and his team winning 0,000.Upon receiving his award from Director of Marketing, Jacqueline James, Persaud explained that in the past, his team “Bombay Massala” created quite a stir but of recent, they made a decision to change the name while nothing that his mother who is an excellent cook would have prepared the mixture to cook and marinate the duck meat.However, he was thankful to his team for the hard work they put in to make preparations for the big day. A member of his team afterwards thanked Digicel for hosting the competition, nothing that they had lots of fun; although reluctant to release the recipe that gave them the top spot. This year’s competition took on a different dimension since those who participated had the opportunity to show off their cutlery skills.Digicel’s Public Relations Officer Vidya Sanichara explained that the company received an overwhelming response with respect to registration, adding that the company even received two registrations after the cut-off date – they had already received the quota to participate.However, due to the amount of registration forms received, the company is hoping that the next competition caters for more participants. “We want as much people to participate and next year we are going bigger and better,” Sanichara noted.As the sun set on the day’s competition, the crowd was entertained by Trinidad’s Chutney Sensation, Nishard M and Guyana’s own, Jumo “Rubber Waist” Primo who definitely put on a show.
SAN FRANCISCO – Two bags of Dole baby spinach that tested positive for the E. coli strain that’s sickened 175 people nationwide were packaged at the same plant on the same day, California health officials said Monday. That information has helped investigators tracing the source of the tainted greens continue narrowing their search at nine farms in three California counties, said Dr. Kevin Reilly, deputy director of prevention services for the California Department of Health Services. Both the Dole spinach that Utah’s health department recovered from a patient in Salt Lake County over the weekend and an open bag in which New Mexico officials found the bacteria earlier last week were processed at the San Juan Bautista plant of Natural Selection Foods LLC during the same shift on Aug. 15, according to Reilly. The company, which grows, packages and ships spinach under multiple brands, has been the focus of federal and state inspectors working to pinpoint the cause of the E. coli outbreak. “We are looking very aggressively at what was produced on that date,” Reilly said. “Much of the feedback we got from patients right now was related to Dole packaging.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John PhillipsReilly said it was too soon to say whether any other brands besides Dole would turn out to have been contaminated. As far as processing plants, inspectors are focusing exclusively on Natural Selection at this point, he added. Calls to Dole’s headquarters in Westlake Village were not immediately returned Monday. So far, 175 people have been sickened after eating spinach, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Monday. More than half – 93 – were hospitalized, including a 77-year-old Wisconsin woman who died. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!