To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
John Steinbeck Waterfront Park is finally becoming a reality.A plan four years in the making will be made official Friday, August 16, when the Town of Southampton will transfer management and operation of the site to Sag Harbor Village after acquiring the parcel last month under the town’s Community Preservation Fund. The handover caps an effort dating back almost a generation to save one of the last remaining pieces of waterfront property from condominium development. The plan is for the new park to be linked with the existing Windmill Park and soon-to-be-updated Long Wharf Pier through a walkway under the Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter Veterans Memorial Bridge, forming an interconnected feature at the center of downtown.“This is a banner day for Sag Harbor — a community which had poured millions of dollars into the Community Preservation Fund, particularly in the past few years,” village Mayor Kathleen Mulcahy said. “The new park saves an absolutely vital piece of our waterfront from development, and instead offers a lovely gateway to our village. We expect in due time this will become a beautiful amenity for residents and visitors alike.”The recently-voted-in mayor said the move would not have been possible without the support of the town and the work of former Mayor Sandra Schroeder and Trustee Jim Larocca, who “tirelessly led this effort,” she said.Southampton Town closed on the $10.5-million purchase of the 1.25-acre property July 24 with funding from its Community Preservation Fund, which is financed through a two-percent tax on real estate transfers.The park is named after John Steinbeck, the author of “East of Eden,” “Of Mice and Men,” and “The Grapes of Wrath,” who won the 1962 Nobel Prize in Literature. Steinbeck, and his wife, Elaine, were village residents for the last 16 years of his life and became deeply involved in the Sag Harbor community — instrumental in the creation of the Long Wharf windmill and the fall HarborFest.“If you pay your bills, trade locally as much as possible, mind your business, and act reasonably pleasant, pretty soon they forget that you are an outsider,” Steinbeck wrote in his 1957 essay “My War With The Ospreys.”“I feel that I belong in Sag Harbor and I truly believe that the people of the village have accepted us as citizens,” he said.He penned at least two of his best-selling novels — “The Winter of Our Discontent” (1961) and “Travels with Charley” (1962) — from his famed writing studio, Joyous Garde, which looked out over the Sag Harbor waters, and died in 1968. The mayor said a statue of Steinbeck was donated to be placed in the park. Elaine Steinbeck, who passed in 2003, was a patron of Sag Harbor arts, and the stage at Bay Street Theater, across from the John Steinbeck windmill, is named for her.“Steinbeck Park will enhance the village experience for everyone and honor a great American author who cherished Sag Harbor,” said Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman.Informal planning and design of the park is being headed by village resident and landscape architect Edmund Hollander. With Mulcahy and others, he’s made preliminary concept plan renderings that depict an entrance to a raised area with seating and a grove of shade trees to sit under while looking out at Sag Harbor Cove.The idea is to have three main walkways — a literary walk, historic walk, and ecological walk — each with educational and scenic value that tie into the theme of that trail. For instance, the literary walk would have places to sit and read, and a box filled with books to choose from. Schneiderman added Steinbeck quotes could even be engraved on the benches. The ecological walk would have QR codes that visitors scan with their phone that would teach them about tidal wave changes, marshes, and ospreys. In total, the current design could cost anywhere from $3 to $4 million.“The park is beautiful. The park is recreational. The park is educational,” Hollander said. “That’s one of the concepts we’ve been playing around with there, but these plans are a design of what it could be, not what it has to be.”Creating enough typography creates a place for park goers to experience the views while also creating ample drainage that would also help mitigate storm-water runoff. Mulcahy said the plan is for it to look as natural as possible, with the addition of native plants and rain gardens.Sketches show the park going down to the water, with a small pier for a place to fish and launch a kayak. Schneiderman said he’d also like to see the water taxi from Sag Harbor to Greenport revived, as a way for people to explore the parks and the main streets both villages have to offer, while also curbing any potential parking problems.“We’re all excited about that property,” Schneiderman said. “I’m thrilled. This is extraordinary, and I think there will be real support for this. This is a place I’d love to visit, bring my family to and hang out. This would be a real asset to downtown.” The public will be involved in decision-making regarding the design of the park moving forward. In the interim, the 1.25 acres of green space with split-rail fencing, picnic tables, and benches will be open for residential use so Mulcahy can see how visitors would like to use it. There’s $130,000 in a fund that will go toward maintaining the property for the time being. The hope is to raise money through public and private donations, and use recycled materials to bring the final plan to life. The mayor said she’d like to see the village break ground on the project next email@example.com Share
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
Enagás of Spain said it has on Monday successfully completed the first loading of an LNG tanker at its Barcelona regasification plant.The vessel had a capacity of 160,000 cubic metres and 156,560 cubic metres of LNG were loaded.The company, which concluded the adaptation of its facilities in Barcelona in July with a view to carrying out this type of operation, now offers this service at all its plants in Spain.Within the new international market environment for LNG, in which tanker loading at LNG terminals is playing a pivotal role in meeting the burgeoning demand from other markets, the Spanish Gas System remained the global leader in this type of operation for the third year running. In 2013, 51% of global loading operations were performed in Spain, according to figures from the International Group of Liquefied Natural Gas Importers.Its capacity to provide this service could position Spain as a key destination for LNG where, in addition to being unloaded, tankers can be loaded for subsequent dispatch around the globe.Tanker loading, along with other new services on which Spain is working, leverage Spain’s gas infrastructure and the company’s ability to adapt to the development of the market. Press Release, September 19, 2014; Image: Enagas
LNG Limited of Australia informed that the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission issued the final environmental impact statement for the Magnolia LNG project in Lake Charles, Louisiana.FERC also issued a final EIS for the associated Kinder Morgan Louisiana Pipeline (KMLP) Lake Charles expansion project on November 13, the company confirmed in its statement on Monday.In the FEIS, FERC concludes that construction and operation of the proposed projects would result in “limited adverse environmental impacts, but these impacts would be reduced to less-than-significant levels” with the implementation of MLNG’s and KMLP’s proposed mitigations and the additional measures recommended in the FEIS.The next step in the FERC process is for the commissioners to act on MLNG’s and KMLP’s respective applications, LNG Limited added.[mappress mapid=”17874″]Image: Magnolia LNG
Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY
Top-40 firm Fieldfisher has confirmed it has issued legal proceedings against litigation specialist Stewarts Law over the handling of a personal injury case.Bristol-born lorry driver Michael Howe, now 70, was represented until last year by Stewarts in a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau following a road traffic accident in France ten years ago.Howe was left paralysed following the crash but has struggled to secure compensation ever since and was told last month by the Court of Appeal that his appeal had been dismissed.By the time of that hearing, Howe was represented by Fieldfisher, who applied for permission to amend the grounds of appeal, amend the particulars of claim and for permission to appeal in relation to amended material.In a judgment formally reported this week, Lord Justice Lloyd Jones expressed his sympathy for Howe but said he was bound by rules on limitation and that three relevant deadlines had been missed. The judge noted that the application of a French five-year limitation would not cause undue hardship, and he could not allow new points to be raised as that would represent ‘an act of extreme indulgence’.Jones added: ‘For Mr Howe there has been a decade of paraplegia without proper resolution of his claim. I cannot, however, allow my very real sympathy for him to cause me to make an order which does not reflect the applicable legal principles or to exercise discretion on that sympathy alone.’The judge said it would be difficult to allow an action to proceed when Howe has been represented since an early stage and no action was commenced within either three, five or six years – the length of time allowed by various statutes in different jurisdictions.Fieldfisher head of personal injury Jill Greenfield, who took over the case from Stewarts last year, said the lorry driver now stands to secure no compensation and potentially be hit with a six-figure legal bill. Jill GreenfieldFieldfisherShe confirmed proceedings have been issued against Stewarts Law, with the case run by senior associate Dushal Mehta and Elizabeth Ann Gumbel QC appointed as counsel.Greenfield added: ‘Mr Howe is in an incredibly difficult position. What should have been a fairly straightforward claim for compensation has ended up in the Court of Appeal ten years later.’ ‘Mr Howe, an extremely vulnerable man, has been left with no financial support for his disability following the accident and now faces a costs order against him amounting to hundreds of thousands of pounds.’Stewarts Law declined to comment as proceedings are ongoing.
EUROPE: Vossloh Group has reported full-year pre-tax profits of €152·1m in 2010, a 10·3% increase on the previous year. The company also recorded its highest-ever sales of €1·35bn, up by 15·1% on 2009.Vossloh attributed almost half of its revenue growth to its Rail Services business unit, formed following the acquisition of three German rail logistics, welding and maintenance companies in December 2009. Organic sales growth was 7·9%.Strong performance in Asia, fuelled by high demand for rail fastenings in China, meant that the non-European share of group revenue increased from 27·1% to 29·5%. The Rail Infrastructure division, which includes Rail Services, saw strongest sales growth, increasing by 29·2% to €891·5m. However, the fragility of the rail freight market was reflected by a 4·9% decline in revenue at Vossloh’s rolling stock business, which saw pre-tax earnings fall from €35·2m in 2009 to €27·5m. However, the company said that a growing order book for metro and light vehicles had helped its Spanish plant in Valencia to weather the recession, and renewed growth in orders for shunting locomotives at Kiel augured well for the long-term health of its locomotive business.‘2010 was the most successful year in our corporate history’, said Vossloh AG CEO Werner Andree. ‘The acquisition of the Rail Services business unit has proven to be a step in the right direction, and our locomotive business is regaining its former strength’.