Happy new handball year 2015!

first_imgShareTweetShareShareEmail Related Items:happy handball year ShareTweetShareShareEmailCommentsAfter 1.650 articles in this year, the only thing left to be said is – Dear handball friends. Handball-Planet.com wish you a happy new year!A lot of joy and happiness!Handball-Planet.com has another record year with about a million visits (981.000) and a half a million unique visitors (482.000), who opened 2.400.000 pages.HP TOP 10 countries in number of visits:1. Hungary 11.7%2. Macedonia  8.9%3. Poland 8.3%4. Denmark 7%5. Spain 6.6%6. Germany 6.3%7. Norway 4.7%8. Croatia 4.4%9. Sweden 4%10. Serbia 3.6% Click to comment Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published.Comment Name Email Website Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.last_img read more

Wholesale roster change coming for US biosecurity board

first_imgThe US National Institutes of Health (NIH) is preparing to reactivate a biosecurity advisory board that has been dormant for close to 2 years, and as part of that process, almost half of the board’s voting members learned this week that that they will soon be replaced.Although the move was not entirely unexpected, some of the 11 exiting members of the board said the timing is strange, as it comes in the wake of recent government lab safety lapses involving Bacillus anthracis, H5N1 avian flu virus, and smallpox virus.The 11 departing members—nearly half of the 23-member voting roster—are the last of the original members of the National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity (NSABB), which was established in 2005. The panel advises the government on biosecurity and “dual use research of concern” (DURC), or research that could be used to threaten public health.Routine membership rotation?In a statement e-mailed to CIDRAP News today, the NIH said the change in personnel is part of routine membership rotation and noted that the terms of the outgoing members had been extended several times.The NSABB made frequent headlines in late 2011 and 2012, when it initially opposed publication of the full details of two studies that involved generating H5N1 viruses with airborne transmissibility in ferrets. The board later reversed the recommendation, but the vote on one of the studies was not unanimous.NSABB Executive Director Mary Groesch, PhD, informed the 11 board members of their impending removal in a Jul 13 e-mail message.”I wanted to tell you that a new slate of NSABB members has been approved as your replacements, and thus your service on the board is ending,” she wrote. “Since you have all been so gracious as to extend your service for several years beyond your initial term, this may come as welcome news!”She said the NIH plans to convene the board in the fall, when it will be asked for advice on educational materials that will be needed to support a new policy on institutional oversight of life-sciences DURC. The final version of that policy is due to be released soon, she added.Paul Keim, PhD, of Northern Arizona University, an outgoing NSABB member and former chair, said that normally a few NSABB members should rotate off the board each year, but that wasn’t done over the past 2 years.”We were all surprised [by Groesch’s memo], but mainly because of the silence for about 20 months,” he told CIDRAP News. He is a microbiologist and Regent’s Professor of biology at Northern Arizona and also directs the Pathogen Genomics Division at The Translational Genomics Research Institute. “I think it’s unfortunate that it happens right now in the midst of this crisis [of lab safety missteps], but on the other hand the US government has mothballed the NSABB for essentially 2 years,” Keim said. “During that period there should’ve been a rotation of members off the board. That was the original intent.””They had a backlog in rotating people off,” he said. “It’s just too bad they had to rotate so many experienced people off as they’re facing this crisis.”He referred to the recent revelations about biosafety lapses involving B anthracis and H5N1 virus at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) labs and the discovery of 1950s smallpox virus samples in a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) facility.Keim and other members contacted by CIDRAP News said they’re in the dark as to why the NIH has not convened the NSABB since November 2012. “We don’t know why we were inactivated,” he said.Questions on board inactivity, timing of noticeIn their statement to CIDRAP News today, NIH officials described the changing of the guard as routine but did not explain why the board has been inactive for so long.”It is routine for federal advisory committees to rotate their membership over time so that fresh and diverse perspectives can be brought to bear on the committee’s deliberations,” the statement said. “Typically, only a portion of the board is rotated off at a time, so that the NSABB has members with ‘institutional memory,’ as well as individuals with new perspectives. Under special circumstances, membership terms can be extended, though they cannot be extended indefinitely.”The terms of the individuals who received notification that their service on the NSABB had come to an end, had been renewed several times. The last time member terms were extended, those extensions were to last until replacement members could be found up until 2015, but not necessarily extending to that date, if less time was required for replacement members to be appointed.”The decision regarding which members to rotate off the board is predicated on the length of service and the availability of replacement members. The individuals who were notified recently regarding their expiring terms are the last among the original board members to rotate off. This is part of the routine process of membership rotation.”The NIH said the names of the new NSABB members will be released before the board’s next meeting. Groesch’s memo said plans call for a meeting in September or October.The current NSABB chair, Samuel L. Stanley Jr, MD, president of Stony Brook University in New York, was not available to comment on the development today. He is not among those rotating off the panel.Another departing member, Michael Imperale, PhD, of the University of Michigan, said the outgoing members were initially appointed for 4-year terms, but the terms were extended because the NIH hadn’t found replacements for them. He is a professor in and associate chair of the Department of Microbiology and Immunology.Imperiale said he had “no idea” why the NIH picked this particular time to suddenly announce the change in members.”I guess the related question is, why, after almost 2 years, did the NIH decide it’s time to reconvene the board?” he added.David Relman, MD, of Stanford University, another exiting NSABB member, called the NIH move “quite abrupt” and said he didn’t know the reason for the timing, but added that he was not entirely surprised. He is a professor of medicine and of microbiology and immunology at Stanford and also is chief of infectious diseases at Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health CareSystem.”What has been far more upsetting has been the degree to which the board has been ignored and in essence, silenced during this past 2 years—2 years of rapidly evolving science, pressing unresolved issues, and great need for work and contributions by a board like this,” Relman commented.He said he has “some suspicion” that the change in members may be related to positions that members have taken in board deliberations, but has “nothing that I can support with objective evidence.”Keim, however, rejected any speculation that members are being dropped from the board for their views: “If they started targeting members for their positions, that would be a major transgression of the government advisory board policies. They did not target us for our views.”See also: NSABB home pageRoster of current NSABB voting membersRelated Jul 15 ScienceInsider storylast_img read more

Forest set to confirm Kane deal

first_imgSee also:Chelsea’s Kane expected to join ForestKane’s loan move to Forest is confirmed Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Nottingham Forest are expected to confirm the signing of youngster Todd Kane on loan from Chelsea later today.The 21-year-old right-back has been recalled from a loan spell at Bristol City and Chelsea are keen for him to play in the Championship.Stuart Pearce gave Kane a call-up when the Forest boss was in charge of the England Under-21s and is set to sign him for the rest of the season.AdChoices广告Kane, who made seven appearances for City but only one league start, previously played in the second tier while on loan at Blackburn and before that was loaned to Preston.last_img read more

| Serena Notout‌ | Mangalam

first_imgNew York: Former world number one Serena Williams Open Tennis: Grand Slam women’s singles advance to quarterfinals. US star Serena defeated Sloane Stephens in the third round. Score: 2-6, 6-2, 6-2.Sloane won the first set, but the 38-year-old Serena struggled with increased vigor.Serena easily won sets two and three, shaking Sloane through trademark shots. U.S. Serena also holds the record for most wins in open singles. Serena overtook Chris Evert with 102 singles victories.Serena, who shares Chris Evert’s record of 23 Grand Slam titles, can match Margaret Court’s record if she wins here. Serena has not won a Grand Slam title since the 2017 Australian Open. Maria Zachary will face Serena in the pre-quarterfinals today. Serena’s leap proves that her time is not over. Victoria Azarenka, Sofia Kenin and Svetana Pirankova also reached the pre-quarters.In the men’s singles, Dominique Thiem, Fran ഫ്രois T. Yafo and Uger Eliasim also advanced to the quarterfinals. Sloan is the winner of 2017. The wait for Serena’s record seemed to be long as she surrendered without significant resistance in the first set.The player showed that his fighting spirit has not been harmed. Burning in the next two sets, Serena kept her dream of a 24th Grand Slam. The three-year-old daughter, who watched her husband ‘s lap match, is ahead of Olympia – Serena’s career-best victory.Serena responded after the match that she believed she had seen her mother struggle. In the other women’s third round singles, Kevin defeated Ons Jabur 7-6, 6-3, Pirankova 6-4, 6-1, Donna Vekic 6, former world number one Victoria Azarenka 6-4, 6-2.In the men’s category, second seed Austria’s Dominik Thiem defeated 2014 champion Marin Cilic of Croatia. Score: 6-2, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. Tim, who played 18 winners, made only four unforced errors. Tim had seven chances in the first two sets and broke the serve four times.last_img read more